The Peace and Justice Ministry
The Peace and Justice Ministry of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel works to encourage our community to think and act in ways that foster peace and advance social justice for all. To that end, we invite speakers to the parish who address difficult issues that we face in our society and who themselves take actions consistent with Catholic social teachings to achieve peace and justice in our world.
Catholics are called upon by God to protect human life, to promote human dignity, to defend those who are poor, and to seek the common good.
— U.S. Catholic Conference
A few recent programs sponsored by Peace and Justice are:
- Mental Illness: Bridges of Hope, Kathleen Campbell, National Alliance on Mental Illness
- A Voice Against Violence, Julie Dugery, Network of Victims’ Assistance
- None of Us Are Home Until All of Us Are Home, Will O’Brien, Project Home
- Human Trafficking, Sr. Teresita Hinnegan, Medical Mission Sisters
- The Death Penalty, Sr. Helen Prejean (Dead Man Walking)
- Pope Francis and the Environment, Mac Given, Neumann University
We welcome any new members and always look for new ideas for presentation subjects and speakers! We get together on the first Monday of the month, October through June, either for a planning meeting or to host a scheduled speaker. Meetings usually take place in Saint Mary’s Hall and begin at 7:00 p.m.
For more information, please contact:
Rosemary Ramil, email@example.com
Fran Lorié, firstname.lastname@example.org
“Children long for somebody to accept them, to love them, to praise them. Let us bring the child back to the center of our care and concern. This is the only way the world can survive because our children are the only hope of the future.” – Mother Theresa
Children’s Liturgy is a wonderful ministry where adult volunteers share Mass with children on the child’s level so that children can understand and appreciate the readings and the Gospel. When we teach we learn. It is a great chance to grow closer to God.
Since the first day of Advent 2002, we have been blessed to have children’s Liturgy at Our Lady of Mt. Carmel at the 9 A.M. Sunday Mass. Just before the First Reading, the priest or deacon asks that all children who want to, from pre-school through fifth
grade, go to the Rectory basement with the “Shepherd” and assistants for their own Gospel reading and discussion – in their own words!
The children return to the church for the Offering, and some of the children bring up the gifts. We have a wonderful group of adult volunteers. Each volunteer is called on to help every six weeks. We have one shepherd (or leader) and one assistant each Sunday (except Christmas and Easter). We have an easy-to-follow lesson plan that each shepherd receives. (We use Pflaum Publishing materials.) We also have a keyboard, piano, and whiteboard for your use. We have materials for a prayer table, which we ask you to set up in the basement before Mass (usually the shepherds arrive by 8:45A.M.).
Please consider either your middle school age or high school age for a position as assistant to the children’s liturgy. He or she would do the readings and help the kids get back to the church. We want to incorporate more music in the morning, so please share your talent with the children. We would love a piano player, maybe guitar? Any age will help create joy for the children. All parents are welcome to attend Children’s Liturgy with their child(ren) to see how it works. We hope you and your children will join us!
Allison and others will be certain to keep your company until a shepherd is feeling comfortable to lead on her own day. Please consider this chance to serve.
Why have a Children’s Liturgy?
- Children can take an active part in this type of Mass.
- They feel part of the church community
- They will want to attend Mass
- They will better understand the Gospel lesson
- Kids receive take home information after each Children’s Liturgy
Or email: email@example.com
Our Lady of Mount Carmel ~ Blue Ribbon School
Offering a Catholic Education to Students in Kindergarten through Grade Eight
Established in 1876
A Nationally Recognized Blue Ribbon School
OUR MISSION STATEMENT
Our Lady of Mount Carmel School is a Catholic elementary school proclaiming the message of Jesus Christ and integrating the magisterial teaching of scripture and tradition of the Church. Through prayer, example and instruction, students learn about the person of Jesus, worship as members of the faith community and offer service to the poor and needy. Our Lady of Mount Carmel School seeks to educate the whole child through its strong academic program and to enrich the total person through co-curricular and extracurricular activities. We strive to provide a quality education that will teach students to know, love and serve God and their neighbor.
Our students are encouraged by their participation in…
- Our vibrant religious education program that includes daily prayer and Scripture reading, instruction in our faith, rich sacramental preparation, monthly Mass, seasonal devotions, and extensive service opportunities
- Our developmental full day Kindergarten program that focuses on math and reading readiness and the enhancement of social skills
- Our rigorous academic program in Grades One through Eight that includes classes in math, language arts, science, and social studies
We are proud of our…
- Dedicated, caring, and competent faculty
- Accreditation by Middle States Association of Colleges and Elementary Schools
- Blessed Duns Scotus Chapter of the National Junior Honor Society and Service Club
- Concert Band, Choir, and Chimes Ensemble
- Co-curricular activities in math, language arts, science and social studies
- Christmas Program and Spring Concert
- Annual family activity at each grade level
- Cultural assemblies and field trips
- Aramark Food Service
Our active Home and School Association…
- Supports the partnership between parents and the members of our faculty and staff
- Through the Executive Board, provides leadership for the many fund-raisers, volunteer opportunities, and spirit building activities of the membership
Please join us at one of our annual Open Houses for a tour of the school by a student ambassador and a question and answer session with the principal. Contact the school office or consult the website for the dates and times of these events which are held monthly from November through March.
The CCD program of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish is dedicated to providing a nurturing environment for learning about and coming to know our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Through a devoted and trained community of lay volunteers, our students learn and experience the fullness of the Catholic faith. The CCD program, with the help of our parents, empowers each student to achieve their potential as active, educated participants in the Body of Christ.
Our Lady of Mount Carmel CCD program runs from Kindergarten through Eighth grade; all children are welcome. The sacraments of First Reconciliation and First Eucharist are prepared for in two years and are generally received in the second grade. The sacrament of Confirmation is also a two-year program and is conferred on in the eighth grade.
Throughout the year many programs are offered to help reinforce the liturgical year, enhance the traditions of the church, and help the students come closer to their faith. Some programs include; the Christmas Program, Stations of the Cross in the prayer garden, celebrating a Seder, Crowning of Our Blessed Mother, special guest speakers and retreats for sacramental preparations. A hands on and integrated curriculum helps to meet the needs of all our students.
R.C.I.A. (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults)
This program is designed to educate and inspire those seeking to know and understand the ideas and teaching of the Catholic Church. By providing knowledge, wisdom, and the love of the community of believers, the R.C.I.A. program guides participants to the goal of full sacramental reception into the Catholic faith. Classes usually meet once a week on Thursday evenings from 7:30 PM to 9:00 PM.